Oliver Mann

Hello and welcome to my class blog! I started working for the Bronx Community College CUNY Language Immersion Program in 2002. I just started here at Queensborough  for the Fall 2014 semester. I have found CLIP to be a great experience and I am proud to have had the opportunity to help so many students of the years. This blog is a place where students, teachers and anyone else to exchange ideas about teaching, learning and college success for the English language learner.

I welcome visitors to explore and comment on the content of this blog, and my students’ blogs. Right now my class is using the theme of women’s history as a backdrop for our English language learning. I feel obliged to explain that I am an ESL teacher and this is an ESL class. If we have mistakes concerning the thematic content, please don’t judge us to harshly. I’m not a Professor of Women’s Studies and my students are not receiving credits for this course. Our investigation is admittedly amateur, but it is thoroughly sincere. Our main goals are improved academic reading and writing and college readiness.

Instead of shamelessly promoting myself, I’d like to share some comments I’ve received from students:

– Oliver I am so happy. This is my last semester at BCC and I was accepted at Baruch College. So happy!!! thanks for being the best professor ever. 🙂 Alina Albizu posted to Oliver Mann February 28, 2012 via BlackBerry Smartphones App

– Diana Ramírez Yes, it was a great day and this has been a great semester. Personally, I have learned a lot and the book is the best I’ve read. Thanks Oliver! You’re an excellent professor.
– Yennys Nin wrote on your timeline.
thanks to your work and dedication people like me [are] achieving success.

– From the bottom of my heart thank you so much Mr. Oliver, you are a great person!

Rances Lopez 

– On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Débora Acevedo  wrote:

Hello Oliver. i want to thank you for everything you did to us especially to me. I really had a very good experience with my classmates and you as my professor. thank you for your goodwill, patience and for helped us to improve our skills and knowledge. At the beginning of the class, i thouhgt you were an strict professor and a difficult person to deal with but as the class were passing i realized that i was wrong. You are a great professor who always want the best for your students, no doubt of that. Now I am moving on to college, flying like a butterfly, i have waited for this moment so long that i cant believe it has arrived. Well, i leave you with this quote that i love from the movie “Freedom Writers”: “Success follows experience.”

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM, DIANA RAMIREZ  wrote:

Hi Oliver!
I just want to let you know that your recommendation was very useful for me. I got a full time job and I will start this Monday. I am very happy and so grateful with you.

2 thoughts on “Oliver Mann

1. Hi Oliver I’m one of your new students, and I’m really glad to be part of it. I really hope this to be a great experience, and i will be more than willing to do my best to improve my English skills in this class. 🙂